Turkey Shawerma nuggets add spice and flavor to the basic original!
Okay okay, I know what you’re thinking. Shawarma by its nature means sliced so a shawarma nugget is basically an oxymoron. But, luckily for us, the culinary world is a creative space and there are no food police so technically I can do what I want.
This of course goes against everything my mom believes in. I think I mentioned in the past that my mom, a culinary genius, but when it comes to Middle Eastern dishes she is absolutely by the book. She grew up eating shawarma in a pita wrap, with garlic sauce and pickles and you absolutely cannot convince her to eat shawarma in nugget form. She’ll eat the nugget, she just won’t call it shawarma. It’s unorthodox and she doesn’t want to be a part of it. But with any other cuisine she will explore, create and run free.
And just to be clear, these nuggets are not going to replace your shawarma wrap craving but they do taste amazing and they’re perfect for your kids or for entertaining and thats what matters. Anything and everything in mini form right?
Shawerma is one of those things that you have to have in the Middle East. I have yet to find a place in the US that makes a shawarma sandwich like the way they make them in Damascus. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had a ton of great tasting shawarma sandwiches but none that are similar to the ones from the street vendors or shawarma cafes in Damascus. They are made different in various parts of the Middle East and Turkey but in Damascus they are made small and simple. Fresh warm bread, juicy flavorful chicken shawarma, garlic sauce and green middle eastern pickles. Thats it. Simple but perfect.
But back to the recipe at hand. I have been trying hard to think of different ways to feed my child. She sure likes to challenge me. These were perfect because she approved of their shape (she decides what to eat based on the shape and color of the dish) and they tasted amazing. I actually had to “taste test” about 4 of these as I was taking pictures!
- 1 lb Ground turkey (or chicken)
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1 tablespoon shawerma spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 375
- Mix ground turkey (or chicken), oats, shawarma spice, salt, pepper and garlic powder in a bowl and mix thoroughly
- Form into whatever shape you like (get creative for the kiddos!)
- Place nuggets on parchment paper, spray with olive oil and put in the oven for 12-14 minutes turning once. (Even if they are not browned does not mean they are not done! Do not overcook them)
- Serve with garlic sauce or yogurt tahini sauce
- You can find shawarma spice at your local middle eastern market and select major grocery stores.